Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Mike Ditka

 Chicago Bears retire Ditka's No. 89 during ceremony

 Ditka appeared emotional as he recalled his career as a Hall of Fame tight end and then a Super Bowl champion coach.
"I saw Virginia (McCaskey) and she looks wonderful," Ditka said of the daughter of Bears founder George Halas. "I go back with her and (her late husband) Ed (McCaskey) to the beginning and I was a 22-year-old kid when I came to Chicago and met Mr. Halas. I was dazzled by that $12,000-a-year contract. I went out and bought a new car. I had it going."

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell extended his congratulations and respect earlier on Monday.
"He is not only a great Hall of Famer and someone who continues to contribute back to the game of football, but he was one of those unique guys who could contribute on the field as a player and coach, and then continues to contribute to the game. I think it is a great recognition and well deserved."

No comments:

Post a Comment